Automotive was THE topic at CES 2013 in Las Vegas. For NXP, one of the coolest things was our announcement just ahead of the show: NXP partners with Cisco and Cohda Wireless for timely market introduction of intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and car-to-x communications!
The Internet of Things is enabling us to move far beyond the concept of the car just being online – it’s about vehicles actually talking to each other and the surrounding traffic infrastructure in order to create the best possible driving environment for everybody on the road. Imagine getting information in real time that can steer you around congestion or warn of hazards up ahead or ensure that your journey is as green as possible – this is the future of the car!
The technology that NXP, Cisco and Cohda are working on together can help reduce accidents by enabling vehicles to automatically respond to changing driving conditions faster than typical human reaction times, ultimately reducing fatalities and injuries on the roads. Kurt Sievers, our executive vice president and general manager of NXP’s automotive business, nicely explains it in an EETimes video at CES:
NXP has already developed numerous innovations to make the car of the future a reality, in fields including telematics, connectivity, mood lighting and advanced radio. At CES, we demonstrated many of these innovations with a connected race car, watch the video about it:
The fantastic coverage we got from the Cohda/Cisco announcement made for a great entrance to CES… Have a look at some of the highlights:
- Wall Street Journal, Cisco, NXP Place Bet on Connected-Car Company
- GigaOM: Cisco, NXP invest in autonomous-car startup Cohda
- TechCrunch: Cisco And NXP Throw Their Weight Behind Cohda Wireless To Bring The Internet of Things To Your Car
- Engadget: Cisco and NXP invest in Cohda, will work together to enable connected car
- VentureBeat: Cisco and NXP encourage car communication to make driving safe
- CIO: Cisco and NXP invest in connected car technology company
- EE Times Europe: Cisco, NXP push commercialization of Car-to-X communication
- New Electronics: NXP, Cisco invest in automotive wireless start up
- Tech Week Europe: Cisco Clinches Connected-Car Deals
- YouGear.co.uk: Cisco, NXP invest in autonomous-car startup Cohda